Creating demand for IPv6

William Herrin herrin-nanog at dirtside.com
Wed Oct 3 19:43:31 UTC 2007

On 10/3/07, michael.dillon at bt.com <michael.dillon at bt.com> wrote:
> > If you care to wager, I'll take some of that action. Without
> > a relatively transparent mechanism for IPv6-only hosts to
> > access IPv4-only sites this isn't going to happen. We don't
> > have such a mechanism built and won't have it deployed in 12 months.
>
> What about these two?
> http://www.getipv6.info/index.php/Transitioning:_6to4

Michael,

As mentioned, 6to4 doesn't do what you seem to think it does. Its not
a solution to the problem of IPv6 endpoints trying to talk to IPv4
endpoints.

> http://www.getipv6.info/index.php/Transitioning:_NAT-PT

Looks interesting. There's some version 0.4 user-space software for
Linux which claims to do it and Cisco claims to do it in IOS 12.4
advanced enterprise.

Let me know how it works out for you when you try it in "many to one"
mode. That is, many IPv6 addresses behind 1 IPv4 address, what Cisco
still insists on calling port address translation.

Regards,
Bill Herrin

--
William D. Herrin                  herrin at dirtside.com  bill at herrin.us