Creating demand for IPv6

Joe Abley jabley at ca.afilias.info
Wed Oct 3 14:56:52 UTC 2007

On 3-Oct-2007, at 1038, <michael.dillon at bt.com> wrote:

>> However, if there was a reasonable translation mechanism
>> available which allowed IPv6-only end systems to access
>> IPv4-only content, I think the picture would look quite
>> different.
>
> Doesn't deploying a 6to4 relay in the content provider network, along
> with IPv6 access to the content provider network, exactly meet this
> requirement?

No. An end system who only has IPv6 addresses has no way to access
IPv4-only content, regardless of whether the IPv6 address is
constructed within 2002::/16.

(and it's a bit of a stretch to imagine an end-system that has IPv4
close enough for a 6to4 prefix to be constructed, but far enough away
for it not also to have an IPv4 address)

Joe