Creating demand for IPv6

Iljitsch van Beijnum iljitsch at muada.com
Wed Oct 3 08:22:37 UTC 2007

On 3-okt-2007, at 5:20, William Herrin wrote:

> 1. End the insanity of having software prefer IPv6 if available (AAAA
> records over A records).

Insanity?

Using IPv6 by default can lead to suboptimal results, but there's
really no alternative: even in the IETF people think I'm a few bits
short of a /128 when I talk about running IPv6-only. And as long as
you have both IPv4 and IPv6 connectivity and prefer IPv4, you're
never going to see if IPv6 even works, let alone how well.

> 2. Figure out a PI solution for IPv6 capable of scaling to the
> equivalent of hundreds of millions of routes in the core at a
> per-route cost two orders of magnitude less than it is today.

Sure:

http://www.muada.com/drafts/draft-van-beijnum-multi6-isp-int-aggr-01.txt

> 3. Produce IPv6 NAT.

Believe it or not, there are already products that do IPv6 NAT.