Creating demand for IPv6

Mark Smith nanog at 85d5b20a518b8f6864949bd940457dc124746ddc.nosense.org
Tue Oct 2 22:52:59 UTC 2007

On Tue, 2 Oct 2007 12:42:23 -0400
"William Herrin" <herrin-nanog at dirtside.com> wrote:

> On 10/2/07, Brian Raaen <braaen at zcorum.com> wrote:
> > Actually, a
> > better way to push IPv6 is make users want it and feel like they are missing
> > out if they don't have it.  I campaign with some kind of slogan like 'got
> > IPv6' or "I've got ultra high tech IPv6 for my internet and you don't" with a
> > web url like www.getipv6.com (oops, some domain squatter already registered
> > it).
>
> Brian,
>
> I offer you two words: Ford Edsel.
>
> It doesn't matter how clever you make the marketing campaign if on
> finding out what the product actually is the customers decide they
> don't want it.
>

> >         This all boils down to simple economics.... supply and demand.
>
> As far as I can tell, IPv6 is at least theoretically capable of
> offering exactly two things that IPv4 does not offer and can't easily
> be made to offer:
>
> 1. More addresses.
> 2. Provider independent addresses
>
> At the customer level, #1 has been thoroughly mitigated by NAT,
> eliminating demand. Indeed, the lack of IPv6 NAT creates a negative
> demand: folks used to NAT don't want to give it up.

Those people don't know any better, because they probably haven't used
a NAT free Internet. Most North Koreans probably aren't asking for
democracy either.

Have you used a NAT free Internet?

So if more addresses was "thoroughly mitigated by NAT", when were these
problems that NAT creates fixed?

http://www.cs.utk.edu/~moore/what-nats-break.html

--

        "Sheep are slow and tasty, and therefore must remain constantly
         alert."