Access to the IPv4 net for IPv6-only systems, was: Re: WG Action: Conclusion of IP Version 6 (ipv6)

Randy Bush randy at psg.com
Mon Oct 1 19:35:18 UTC 2007

>   Now the more interesting question is:  Given that we're going
>   to see NAT-PT in a lot of service provider architectures to make
>   deploying IPv6 viable, should it be considered a general enough
>   transition mechanism to be Proposed Standard or just be a very
>   widely deployed Historic protocol?

to remind you of my original message pushing nat-pt.  the nat
functionality itself needs standardization, as well as algs for dns,
smtp, http, sip, and rtp.

these will be sufficiently widely deployed, that we need the
interchangability and testability that standardization gives us.

what i did not say at that time, but think would be quite useful, is
that it would be nice to have a standardized api for new algs.

randy