Access to the IPv4 net for IPv6-only systems, was: Re: WG Action: Conclusion of IP Version 6 (ipv6)

John Curran jcurran at mail.com
Mon Oct 1 19:25:34 UTC 2007

At 3:11 PM -0400 10/1/07, Valdis.Kletnieks at vt.edu wrote:
>So it boils down to "Do you think that once that camel has gotten its nose
>into the tent, he'll ever actually leave?".
>
>(Consider that if (for example) enough ISPs deploy that sort of migration
>tool, then Amazon has no incentive to move to IPv6, and then the ISP is stuck
>keeping it around because they don't dare turn off Amazon).

If indeed one believes that's there more functionality for having
end-to-end IPv6, then presumably their competitors will roll out
services which make use of these capabilities, and Amazon will
feel some pressure to follow.

Operating through NAT-PT is not very exciting and it's not going
to take much (e.g. quality video support) to cause major content
providers to want to have native end-to-end communication.
Amazingly, it creates an actual motivation for existing IPv4 content
sites to considering adding IPv6 support, which is something we've
lacked to date.

/John