Access to the IPv4 net for IPv6-only systems, was: Re: WG Action: Conclusion of IP Version 6 (ipv6)

Valdis.Kletnieks at vt.edu Valdis.Kletnieks at vt.edu
Mon Oct 1 19:11:02 UTC 2007

On Mon, 01 Oct 2007 14:39:16 EDT, John Curran said:

>   Now the more interesting question is:  Given that we're going
>   to see NAT-PT in a lot of service provider architectures to make
>   deploying IPv6 viable, should it be considered a general enough
>   transition mechanism to be Proposed Standard or just be a very
>   widely deployed Historic protocol?

"Historic" usually refers to "stuff we've managed to mostly stamp out production
use".

So it boils down to "Do you think that once that camel has gotten its nose
into the tent, he'll ever actually leave?".

(Consider that if (for example) enough ISPs deploy that sort of migration
tool, then Amazon has no incentive to move to IPv6, and then the ISP is stuck
keeping it around because they don't dare turn off Amazon).