Creating demand for IPv6, and saving the planet

Daniel Senie dts at senie.com
Mon Oct 1 15:53:13 UTC 2007

A number of people have bemoaned the lack of any IPv6-only
killer-content that would drive a demand for IPv6. I've thought about
this, and about the government's push to make IPv6 a reality. What
occurred to me is there is a satellite sitting in storage that would
provide such content:

   http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Triana_(satellite)

Al Gore pushed for this satellite, Triana, to provide those on earth
with a view of the planet among its scientific goals. The Republicans
referred to it as an "overpriced screen saver," though the effect
even of just the camera component on people's lives and how they
treat the planet could be considerable.

By combining the launch of Triana with feeding the still images and
video from servers only connected to native IPv6 bandwidth, the
government would provide both a strong incentive for end users to
want to move to IPv6, and a way to get the people of this planet to
stop from time to time and ponder the future of the earth.

Of course getting this done any time soon would require getting the
present administration to reverse its bias against Triana and global
warming. But it seemed to me an interesting way to advance two goals
in synergy.

Dan
Daniel Senie                                        dts at senie.com
Amaranth Networks Inc.                    http://www.amaranth.com

    "Our lives begin to end the day we become silent
     about things that matter." -- Martin Luther King, Jr.