NeXT Default Network

JAKO Andras jako.andras at eik.bme.hu
Wed Nov 28 01:34:37 UTC 2007

 Fred, Brandon, Spiro,

Thanks for all your answers.

> operating system called NextStep. It sounds like they came up with a variety
> of site-local address pre-RFC1918 and pre-RFC3927 that did something similar
> to RFC 3927 addresses.

That's it. 192.42.172.0/24 is often used in examples, but I also found in
the "Automatic Host Addition" chapter of
http://www.levenez.com/NeXTSTEP/netinfo_user_guide.pdf the following:

"The second property, configuration_ipaddr, is required and specifies the
address that must not be allocated by nibootpd. This address is in fact
the address that NeXT uses to identify a new workstation temporarily
during the boot process. It should always be set to 192.42.172.253
explicitly."

It looks like this /24 is (was) a must for their "Automatic Host Addition"
process. So now I see how this prefix got into Barry's list.

Andras