Creating a crystal clear and pure Internet

Jared Mauch jared at puck.nether.net
Tue Nov 27 16:06:00 UTC 2007

On Tue, Nov 27, 2007 at 10:18:47AM -0500, Fred Reimer wrote:
> No offense, but I think this is an overly political topic, and we
> just saw that politics are not supposed to be discussed.  There
> is a huge political debate on what ISP's should and should not be
> doing to traffic that flows through their systems.  There are
> other groups, like NNsquad, where these types of conversations
> are welcome, but even there on the forums, not the mailing list.
>
> But, if it's not viewed as political then...
>
> [SNIP!]
>
> And my personal opinion is that ISP's should not do anything to
> the traffic that passes through their network as far as
> filtering.  The only discriminatory behavior that should be
> allowed is for QoS, to treat specific types or traffic in a
> different manner to give preferential treatment to specific
> classifications of traffic.  My definition of QoS for the
> [SNIP!]

	Welcome to the non-regulated world.

	I think this is a general call to engage in these activities.
The last thing I think most of us want to have happen is to wake up
be regulated like the Chemical sector became, eg:
http://www.dhs.gov/xprevprot/laws/gc_1166796969417.shtm

	There is an operational part of this whole internet thing that
does matter, and I have to say, we can't just ignore the activities at
the recent Rio, ITU, or other things.  Without clued engagement
will the policy wonks make the right choices/decisions?  This does
impact network operations.

	Take for example the FCC stuff on the emergency alert system.
(excerpt from federal register follows)

-- register excerpt --
Contra Costa states just as
the Internet Protocols enable various kinds of computers to work
together, CAP can provide the basis for a secure ``warning internet''
that can leverage all our warning assets to achieve more than any
single system can alone.
-- register excerpt --

	Perhaps you don't care about this stuff, but maybe you'll soon
be required to have your EAS testpoint connected to the local PSAP for
them to do reverse-911 or other activities to users with naked dsl, etc..

	If you think this doesn't impact your operational network
or have the potential to, you're sorely mistaken.  If you're not
engaged, you may become blindsided by costs that you're unable to
recover from and cause your network to close due to bankruptcy.

	I could be insane in thinking this, but I think we're in
that time of the lifecycle where we need to be on-guard.

	- Jared

Jared Mauch  | pgp key available via finger from jared at puck.nether.net