Creating a crystal clear and pure Internet

Fred Reimer freimer at ctiusa.com
Tue Nov 27 15:40:07 UTC 2007

Horrid?  Strong words.  What's horrid about allowing an ISP to
prefer that their BGP traffic has a higher priority than end-user
traffic, so that the whole net doesn't fail when pipes are
overprescribed, or there is a virus/worm on the net?  What's
horrid about allowing an end-user to decide which of its traffic
should be dropped first, if by definition some traffic HAS to be
dropped due to over-prescription?

If you think it's horrid, then I'd like some examples, because I
suspect that given certain specific scenarios you'd probably
agree with what should happen (as neutral as can possibly be
managed, and transparent).

Thanks,

Fred Reimer, CISSP, CCNP, CQS-VPN, CQS-ISS
Senior Network Engineer
Coleman Technologies, Inc.
954-298-1697