Creating a crystal clear and pure Internet

Valdis.Kletnieks at vt.edu Valdis.Kletnieks at vt.edu
Tue Nov 27 15:19:14 UTC 2007

On Tue, 27 Nov 2007 09:38:40 EST, Sean Donelan said:
> Some people have compared unwanted Internet traffic to water pollution,
> and proposed that ISPs should be required to be like water utilities and
> be responsible for keeping the Internet water crystal clear and pure.

What's the networking equivalent of "remember to build your water intake
*upstream* of your sewage plant"?

Or, more accurately - "how do you get all those people with private
wells^Wcomputers to *not* insist on building their leach fields uphill
of their wells?".

There's a limit to what an ISP can do to make it "crustal clear and pure"
without an incredibly intrusive presence.  The technically easy way is what
many corporations do - Borg the boxes into an Active Directory domain, and
impose fascist controls via Group Policy (for all of my anti-MS ranting, I'll
grant the AD/GP stuff *is* pretty slick ideas for corporate PC lockdown).

But how do you sell that idea to the consumer user?