unwise filtering policy from cox.net

Robert E. Seastrom rs at seastrom.com
Thu Nov 22 03:40:41 UTC 2007

Barry Shein <bzs at world.std.com> writes:

> P.S. It's an interesting thought. The only approach to a solution I
> could imagine is that the whole address would have to be passed in the
> MX query.

Once upon a time (1987) there was this experimental facility called MB
(mailbox) records which did exactly that.  Unfortunately, they never
caught on in any real way, and the only historical mark that they seem
to have left is the rather odd way in which we express the RNAME
(mailbox of the responsible party) in an SOA record.

Maybe it's an idea whose time has come again.  How many years would it
take to have a meaningful rollout if we start now?  10?  20?  OK,
nevermind then.  :-P

                                        ---Rob