Network Solutions domain transfer lock policy?

William Herrin herrin-nanog at dirtside.com
Mon Nov 19 23:42:53 UTC 2007

On Nov 19, 2007 5:59 PM, Deepak Jain <deepak at ai.net> wrote:
> I just became aware of an SOP at Network solutions. On a contact change
> to a domain, they automatically transfer lock the domain for 60 days.
>
> Is anyone aware of this as a kosher activity and is anyone aware of any
> other registrars doing it? Keep in mind, these are legitimate contact
> changes and not suspicious in anyway.

DJ,

This saved my keyster when someone hacked one of my domains earlier
this year (my fault; sloppy password). Because Netsol still held the
domain, I was able to get things resolved and get the domain back
under my control in about 36 hours. I can only imagine the nightmare
if the hacker had been able to transfer it out to another registry.

It'd be nice if Netsol could to better than 36 hours to restore a
hacked domain but I'd like it a whole lot less if the hacker could
transfer the domain out while waiting for me to notice and them to
investigate.

Regards,
Bill Herrin

--