BGP Communities

Neil J. McRae neil at domino.org
Mon Nov 19 07:41:09 UTC 2007

James,
Community lists and route maps but the place to start is a sheet of paper and to think about what your goal is. Its quite easy (especially on large networks) to build contradictory logic. Also beware what implications you have for cost and capacity. E.g. A customer could signal send all my traffic via $expensivetransit and you then lose money quick.

Communties are also good for blackhole signalling but remember your customers will raise queries when deploying them too!

Regards,
Neil