FCC rules for backup power

Michael Loftis mloftis at wgops.com
Sat Nov 17 04:55:43 UTC 2007

--On November 13, 2007 3:07:03 PM -0500 Sean Donelan <sean at donelan.com>
wrote:

> Proposed new FCC rules for backup power sources for central offices, cell
> sites, remote switches, digital loops, etc.  For the first time, the FCC
> is considering specific backup power time requirements of 24 hours for
> central offices and 8 hours for outside plant and cell sites.  Although
> most carriers tended to follow old Bell System Practices for backup power,
> BSP's weren't official regulations.
>
> ISPs aren't specifically covered, but ....
>
> <http://www.tessco.com/yts/industry/products/infra/infrastructure/power_s
> upplies/pdf/agl_reprint.pdf>

If it makes Qwest put backup on the mini-DSLAM at my curb, good.  I'm damn
sick of losing access every time we have a power bump out here because they
are too cheap to provide backup for anything except their CO out here.

However I do agree that the FCC is the wrong org to do it, because, as
stated elsewhere, they don't have a clue about local regs/etc.