RIR filtering & Level3

Justin Shore justin at justinshore.com
Thu Nov 15 16:13:38 UTC 2007

Just to followup with the list, there was a small omission in the
filtering of the routes on our peering session.  That accounts for the
more specific routes we were seeing.  L3 made the filtering change on
their side and we're back down to within a percent or less of our other
BGP peers.  It wasn't hurting us; our hardware isn't up against any
resource limits; I just happened to notice it and thought I'd take the
opportunity to inquire about RIR filtering with the group.  Thanks for
the quick work on this one, Roy and Kevin.

I am still interested in implementing some minimum allocation filtering
on our borders.  I can't think of any reason to accept anything below
the minimum of a /24.  Can anyone else?  None of the DNS root servers
are on anything smaller than a /24 are they?  Does anyone have any
suggestions for implementing this in a sane manner?  I'm assuming
matching 0.0.0.0/0 ge 24 would be sufficient unless there are some
exceptions like perhaps the root servers.

Thanks
  Justin