RIR filtering & Level3

Jon Lewis jlewis at lewis.org
Thu Nov 15 14:48:21 UTC 2007

On Thu, 15 Nov 2007, Pete Templin wrote:

> 1) ProviderX (L3 in this case) is allowing you to see some of their internal
> routing information.  If by chance those more-specifics come with MED and you
> have multiple connections to them, you can choose to make intelligent routing
> decisions via MED.  You could have circuitous routing though, should you not
> get the more-specifics over a subset of your connections
>
> 2) ProviderX is demonstrating their incompetence in routing and filtering.
> This is just an inkling of the goofy stuff and potential landmines lurking
> within their network.  You should open tickets, escalate to management, and
> abandon this provider ASAP.

I don't think it's option 1.  We've been a direct Level3 customer for
several years and though we're not filtering on RIR minimums yet (ask me
again in January :) we do have some basic sanity filtering in place.
Level3 isn't sending us anything longer than /24 and hasn't at least in
recent history (according to my distribute-list).