FCC rules for backup power

Deepak Jain deepak at ai.net
Tue Nov 13 21:39:11 UTC 2007

One of the results of the changes is that there will probably be fewer
COs in the world of the future. They strictly speaking aren't required
as often as they used to be, and more and more infrastructure will be
deemed "end-powered" or outside plant anyway.

If everything goes fiber to the premises, we could have huge swaths of
land covered by singular or paired monolithic (but hopefully well
designed/operated) COs.

The article makes a lot of wild predictions/concerns that are frankly
outside of the scope of the ruling. *How* you provide power is your
business. The FCC isn't even declaring *what* counts. If your battery
plant explodes and you don't get your 8 hours of run-time, its not like
they are going to severely penalize you -- the idea is the effort and
consideration of on going operation.

While we talk about "restoring" connectivity, etc -- major
reconstruction can take a while. 24/8hrs is about life safety. Once
power goes out, lots of people need to call for help. Even if the cell
sites are up, if where they connect to the POTS infrastructure is dark,
no one can call 911.

*THAT* is the way I read this. This is not about business continuity, or
saving property -- just making sure E911 and other things keep working
while people could be under a tree that fell into their house *during*
the storm.

Deepak