cpu needed to NAT 45mbs

Joel Jaeggli joelja at bogus.com
Sun Nov 11 05:51:00 UTC 2007

Adrian Chadd wrote:
> On Sat, Nov 10, 2007, Suresh Ramasubramanian wrote:
>
>> Speaking of all that, does someone have a "conference wireless'  bcp
>> handy?  The sort that starts off with "dont deploy $50 unbranded
>> taiwanese / linksys etc routers that fall over and die at more than 5
>> associations, place them so you dont get RF interference all over the
>> place etc" before going on to more faqs like what to do so worms dont
>> run riot?
>>
>> Comes in handy for that, as well as for public wifi access points.
>
> Everyone I speak to says something along the lines of
>
> "Why would I put that sort of stuff up? I want people to pay me for
> that kind of clue."

I did a presentation a couple of years ago at nanog on high-density
conference style wireless deployments. It's in the proceedings from
Scottsdale. Fundamentally the game hasn't changed that much since then:

Newer hardware is a bit more robust.

Centralized AP controllers are beguiling but have to be deployed with
high availability in mind because putting all your eggs in a smaller
number of baskets carriers some risk...

If you can, deploy A to draw off some users from 2.4ghz.

Design to keep the number of users per radio at 50 or less in the worst
case.

Instrument everything...