cpu needed to NAT 45mbs

Christopher Morrow morrowc.lists at gmail.com
Thu Nov 8 21:31:35 UTC 2007

On 11/8/07, Carl Karsten <carl at personnelware.com> wrote:

> I do the networking in my house, and hang out with guys that do networking in
> small offices that have a few T1s.   Now I am talking to people about a DS3
> connection for 500 laptops*, and I am bing told "a p4 linux box with 2 nics
> doing NAT will not be able to handle the load."   I am not really qualified to
> say one way or the other.  I bet someone here is.

how about just looking at what a production MSSP would roll out for a
similar situation.. a nokia ip530-class box (I think it's a ip580
these days) with Checkpoint as the 'firewall'... Certainly (poke fbsd
fanboys) a fbsd box of similar config can perform as well, yes? :)

I recall the ip530 being an intel P3-ish system
(http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=nokia+ip530&btnG=Google+Search)
I think we selected these at a past job because it could handle 2 quad
FE cards and a DS3 card...