Getting DSL at your datacenter for OOB

David Ulevitch davidu at everydns.net
Wed Nov 7 22:18:14 UTC 2007

chuck goolsbee wrote:

  > I thought it would be cool to start up a little co-op in our
building of
> copper cross-connects between various providers STRICTLY for OOB network
> access. No sales involved, no revenue, strictly butt-saving OOB access.
> I was actually getting traction until one ... for lack of a better term
> "party pooper"... put the kibosh on the whole thing and ripped all the
> wiring out before we had finished.
>
> Several of us thought it was a fine idea. I imagine it *could* work in
> certain buildings/environments with more enlightened facilities and
> technical people around.

I've mentioned it to EQNX and PAIX numerous times that it would be a
value-add at the right price point.  They don't seem interested.

Most replies offlist seem to recommend just dealing with the hell that
is the incumbent carrier ... or buying 1mbps-committed transit from
someone willing to do it.  The problem with that is the $300+ MRC that
places like EQNX and PAIX will charge for the ethernet XC.

Some other replies offered the you-scratch-my-back-I-scratch-yours
solution of throwing an XC to each other in facilities like the Westin
or the MMR at 111 8th where XC fees aren't MRCs.

-David