Least Sucky Backbone Provider

Gregory Boehnlein damin at nacs.net
Mon Nov 5 15:51:58 UTC 2007

Good morning,
	I'm considering dropping Cogent completely out of my transit mix, as
the number of outages and problems they have been experienced over the past
year has reached an unacceptable level. It has gotten to the point that we
their BGP session is shutdown for longer periods than it is on. Based on the
availability of on-net fiber in my facility, I have narrowed the field to
the following candidates:

1. Level 3
2. MCI/Verizon
3. AT&T

I'm looking for comments from actual customers of the above providers in
relation to;

1. Network reliability and performance
2. Responsiveness to outages
3. Proactive notification of network maintenance

95% of our traffic mix is US48 in nature, so International routes are not a
huge decision point.