Hey, SiteFinder is back, again...

Patrick W. Gilmore patrick at ianai.net
Sun Nov 4 13:32:25 UTC 2007

On Nov 4, 2007, at 1:52 AM, Christopher Morrow wrote:
> On 11/3/07, Allan Liska <allan at allan.org> wrote:
>>
>> I know this is just anecdotal, but I have Verizon FIOS in Northern
>> Virginia and I have not seen sitefinder pop up.  I just verified
>> with a
>> few sites to make sure.
>
> http://www.irbs.net/internet/nanog/0607/0139.html
>
> oops, I was right (kinda).

Verizon != VeriSign, despite what people think.

A single provider doing this is not equivalent to the root servers
doing it.  You can change providers, you can't change "." in DNS.

Plus lots of providers do this, in the US and abroad.

Lastly, it's trivial to get around, unless your provider is
transparently intercepting / redirecting port 53.

--
TTFN,
patrick