unwise filtering policy from cox.net

Suresh Ramasubramanian ops.lists at gmail.com
Thu Nov 22 01:24:55 UTC 2007

On Nov 22, 2007 3:33 AM, Barry Shein <bzs at world.std.com> wrote:

> If that (eg at example.com) overloads those servers, even if they're
> valiantly trying to pass the connection off to another machine, then
> you have to use some other method like eg at special.example.com or
> eg at other-domain.com and hope the clients will somehow use that tho for
> BIGCOMPANY there's a tendency to just bang in abuse at BIGCOMPANY.COM.

... and the RFC says that, and those people that still do manually
report abuse will email abuse at domain  or postmaster at domain instead of
hitting report spam and letting their ISP forward it across in a
feedback loop (which will go to an entirely different, machine parsed
address as the ARF spec is designed to let you do).

You can always alias [email protected] internally to a subdomain if you wish -
but that wouldnt be because [email protected] slows down your MXs.  The smtp load
inbound to  an abuse mailbox will be fairly small compared to the
general load of smtp (and spam) coming your users' way for sure.

There's lots of ways to manage an abuse mailbox (such as filter spam
to your abuse mailbox into a bulk folder, review it and then feed it
to scripts that parse the spam and feed the results to your filters).
MAAWG's been working on an abuse desk bcp for quite some time (the
hard / tech part of it, as well as soft abuse stuff like motivating
and training abuse deskers, giving them career paths etc)

--srs

--
Suresh Ramasubramanian (ops.lists at gmail.com)