Hey, SiteFinder is back, again...

Eliot Lear lear at cisco.com
Mon Nov 5 07:27:11 UTC 2007

Sean,

>> Yes, it sounds like the evil bit.  Why would anyone bother to set it?
>
> Two reasons
>
> 1) By standardizing the process, it removes the excuse for using
> various hacks and duct tape.
>
> 2) Because the villian in Bond movies don't view themselves as evil.
> Google is happy to pre-check the box to install their Toolbar, OpenDNS
> is proud they redirect phishing sites with DNS lookups, Earthlink says it
> improves the customer experience, and so on.

Forgive my skepticism, but what I would envision happening is resolver
stacks adding a switch that would be on by default, and would translate
the response back to NXDOMAIN.  At that point we would be right back
where we started, only after a lengthy debate, an RFC, a bunch of code,
numerous bugs, and a bunch of "I told you sos".

Or put another way: what is a client resolver supposed to do in the face
of this bit?

Eliot