IPv6 Advertisements

Stephen Sprunk stephen at sprunk.org
Thu May 31 17:04:35 UTC 2007

Thus spake "Donald Stahl" <don at calis.blacksun.org>
>> Current policy allows for greater-than-/48 PI assignments if the
>> org can justify it.  However, since we haven't told staff (via
>> policy) what that justification should look like, they are currently
>> approving all requests and several orgs have taken advantage
>> of that.
>
> I can't imagine what an end-user could come up with to justify
> more than a /48 but what do I know.

First of all, there's disagreement about the definition of "site", and some
folks hold the opinion that means physical location.  Thus, if you have 100
sites, those folks would claim you have justified 100 /48s (or one /41).
Other folks, like me, disagree with that, but there are orgs out there that
have tens of thousands of locations with a need for multiple subnets per
location, and that could justify more than a /48 as well via pure subnet
counts.

> And if ARIN's primary goal is to prevent de-aggregation then
> shouldn't there be another fixed allocation size (/40) and block
> to prevent this?

ARIN's goal in v6 is to try to issue blocks so that aggregation is
_possible_, by reserving a larger block to allow growth, but ARIN can't
prevent intentional (or accidental) deaggregation, and there's too many
folks who want to deaggregate for TE purposes to pass a policy officially
condemning it.

>> So, it's entirely possible someone could get a /40 and
>> deaggregate that into 256 routes if they wanted to.  Given
>> the entire v6 routing table is around 700 routes today, it's
>> obviously not a problem yet :)
>
> Obviously that's short sighted :) As for the deaggregation-
> anyone deaggregating a /40 into 256 routes should have
> there AS permanently bloackholed :)

I'd agree in principle, but all it takes is a brief look at the CIDR report
and you'll see that nobody does anything in response to far more flagrant
examples in v4.  If everyone aggregated properly, we could drop over a third
of the current v4 table.  This makes me extremely suspicious of ISPs that
continually whine about routing table bloat whenever loosening policies for
small orgs is discussed.

Stephen Sprunk      "Those people who think they know everything
CCIE #3723         are a great annoyance to those of us who do."
K5SSS                                             --Isaac Asimov