IPv6 Advertisements

Donald Stahl don at calis.blacksun.org
Thu May 31 16:07:30 UTC 2007

> Current policy allows for greater-than-/48 PI assignments if the org can
> justify it.  However, since we haven't told staff (via policy) what that
> justification should look like, they are currently approving all requests and
> several orgs have taken advantage of that.
I can't imagine what an end-user could come up with to justify more than a
/48 but what do I know. And if ARIN's primary goal is to prevent
de-aggregation then shouldn't there be another fixed allocation size (/40)
and block to prevent this?

> So, it's entirely possible someone could get a /40 and deaggregate that into
> 256 routes if they wanted to.  Given the entire v6 routing table is around
> 700 routes today, it's obviously not a problem yet :)
Obviously that's short sighted :) As for the deaggregation- anyone
deaggregating a /40 into 256 routes should have there AS permanently
bloackholed :)

-Don