IPv6 Deployment

Fred Baker fred at cisco.com
Thu May 31 01:06:12 UTC 2007

THe intention was that ipng would address the issues you quote Scott
as raising. What could be addressed cleanly, and was addressed, was
the number of bits in the address.

In part, I think this was due to unrealistic expectations. Security,
as you well know, is not a network layer question, nor is it a link
layer question, an application layer question, a transport layer
question, or a "magic security layer wherever the right place to put
it turns out to be" question. It is a question that is different at
every layer, and requires some level of response at each layer. Ditto
QoS: there is a question of ensuring each application the bandwidth,
delay, and jitter characteristics it needs, the number of memory-to-
memory copies between end station processes it needs, the number of
competing windowing systems it needs (cf ssh vs TCP with large
windows), and a list of other things.

Part of this is the denial factor. It is popular to bash IPv6 over a
number of issues, and I, co-chair of the IPv6 Operations Working
Group, have points on which I comment. I note that those who run
businesses that depend on large numbers or addresses being available
aren't asking this question any more. They may not *like* the answer,
but the answer available to them is IPv6, and there aren't any
others. Increasingly, they are asking me and others what they need to
do to get on with life.