IPv6 Deployment

Fred Heutte aoxomoxoa at sunlightdata.com
Thu May 31 00:27:37 UTC 2007

This is more in the way of a leading question for those who are
attending NANOG 40.

I'll ask it the same way I did at NZNOG back in February --
what problem is it that IPv6 is actually supposed to solve?

I used to know the answer to this, but I don't now.  In 1997
(or even years before, reading Scott Bradner's eloquent advocacy
for it back then) it would have been: address space, security,
extensions, QOS.  But it seems to me these have either been
sidestepped, addressed somewhat, or the benefits have not
overcome the costs in a clear business case sense.

As I said -- my purpose in posing this is to stimulate discussion
at Bellevue.  It was the most interesting thing talked about at
Palmerston North, at least until the cold beer arrived.

fh