why same names, was Re: NANOG 40 agenda posted

Nathan Ward nanog at daork.net
Wed May 30 11:23:36 UTC 2007

On 30/05/2007, at 8:00 PM, Iljitsch van Beijnum wrote:
> I can't seem to reach www.ietf.org over IPv6 these days and I have
> to wait 10 seconds before I fall back to IPv4.

What browser are you using that falls back? Does it require hints
(ie. unreachables, or similar) or does a timeout in TCP session
establishment trigger it?

>> Of course you can argue that the only way we'll be able to get to
>> the ideal world is by forcing people to deal with the breakage so
>> that it'll be fixed, but I'd point to Vijay's presentations.  The
>> problem is, if you're a large scale ISP, how many calls to your
>> help desk will it take until your helpdesk staff says "turn off
>> IPv6"?
>
> Not many. That's why we need to proceed with caution. But there is
> still time, making rash decisions based on the current situation
> would be a mistake. The IPv6 internet and applications grow more
> mature every year.

The ball is in the ISP/NSP court at the moment. Here's why, which is
really a really really brief summary of how I've read this thread,
and my thoughts as it's progressed.

a) Vista and other systems try IPv6. If they think they can get IPv6
they'll (often) prefer AAAA records to A records. That's good, on the
surface.
b) If (a) happens, and the endpoint referred to by the AAAA record
isn't reachable, then the eyeball can't reach the content. Service is
degraded.
c) Because of (b), content providers aren't going to turn on AAAA
records.

So, it seems to me that the unreachable mentioned in (b) needs to be
fixed. That's us, as network operators. Teredo relays/servers and
6to4 relays would be a good first step. Who here who runs an access
network has either of these available for production use? If you do,
what info can you share?

Before someone starts it, the debate between transition protocols to
use is well and truely over. Teredo and 6to4 have been chosen for use
by the software vendors of the end systems. (fine by me)

If I were attending NANOG, I'd be more than happy to run workshops on
how to deploy Teredo and 6to4, however I'm in New Zealand and flights
are expensive. I'm sure there are people who have more operational
experience with these than I do currently. Microsoft run both,
perhaps someone from there can say a few words? Vista points to their
Teredo server by default, so they'll definitely have some learnings
from that, I'm sure.

--
Nathan Ward