IPv6 Advertisements

JORDI PALET MARTINEZ jordi.palet at consulintel.es
Tue May 29 21:09:40 UTC 2007

When I do IPv6 trainings, I always clearly state that it is, in principle,
same secure as IPv4: IPsec is the same.

However, you can *always* turn on IPsec with IPv6, which is not always true
for IPv4 (NATs, no end-to-end, etc.).

Also, port scanning is not "so simple", and while in IPv6 a /24 can be
scanned in 5 minutes, a /64 takes 5.3 billion years, and of course, usually
you will have a /48.

So at the time being, it can be considered a bit more difficult to do a
brute force DoS. Of course, attackers will try some other means, that's why
I recommend not numbering the hosts manually in a consecutive way. One
possible choice is to use autoconfiguration the *first* time you power-on a
server, then manually configuring the autoconfigured address and using that
one for the AAAA. This way, the possibility of consecutive addresses is very
low, but at the same time if the interface get broken, you don't need to
update the AAAA.

Regards,
Jordi

> De: David Conrad <drc at virtualized.org>
> Responder a: <owner-nanog at merit.edu>
> Fecha: Tue, 29 May 2007 11:28:56 -0700
> Para: Donald Stahl <don at calis.blacksun.org>
> CC: Nanog <nanog at nanog.org>
> Asunto: Re: IPv6 Advertisements
>

> Should've clarified: this was in the context of IPv4...
>
> To be honest, I'm not sure what the appropriate equivalent would be
> in IPv6 (/128 or /64?  Arguments can be made for both I suppose).
>
> Rgds,
> -drc

>>> Whether it's a /24 for f-root or a /20 doesn't really make a
>>> difference- it's a routing table entry either way- and why waste
>>> addresses.
>>
>> I once suggested that due to the odd nature of the root name server
>> addresses in the DNS protocol (namely, that they must be hardwired
>> into every caching resolver out there and thus, are somewhat
>> difficult to change), the IETF/IAB should designate a bunch of /32s
>> as "root server addresses" as DNS protocol parameters.  ISPs could
>> then explicitly permit those /32s.
>>
>> However, the folks I mentioned this to (some root server operators)
>> felt this would be inappropriate.
>>
>> Rgds,
>> -drc

The IPv6 Portal: http://www.ipv6tf.org