IPv6 Advertisements

William F. Maton Sotomayor wmaton at ryouko.imsb.nrc.ca
Tue May 29 21:30:58 UTC 2007

On Tue, 29 May 2007, David Conrad wrote:

> Should've clarified: this was in the context of IPv4...
>
> To be honest, I'm not sure what the appropriate equivalent would be in IPv6
> (/128 or /64?  Arguments can be made for both I suppose).

There have been discussions of this sort made over the years.  A good
place to start would be the old (well, maybe not that old) 6Net site where
there's a list of publications called 'Deliverables'.  The info is buried
in other, but amongst other things it contains deployment scenarios as
well as cookbooks decumenting IPv6 deigns and roll-outs, and what they
learned from it all.  Lot's to read, but good info nonetheless:

 	http://www.6net.org/publications/deliverables/

> Rgds,
> -drc

>>> Whether it's a /24 for f-root or a /20 doesn't really make a difference-
>>> it's a routing table entry either way- and why waste addresses.
>>
>> I once suggested that due to the odd nature of the root name server
>> addresses in the DNS protocol (namely, that they must be hardwired into
>> every caching resolver out there and thus, are somewhat difficult to
>> change), the IETF/IAB should designate a bunch of /32s as "root server
>> addresses" as DNS protocol parameters.  ISPs could then explicitly permit
>> those /32s.
>>
>> However, the folks I mentioned this to (some root server operators) felt
>> this would be inappropriate.
>>
>> Rgds,
>> -drc

wfms