IPv6 Advertisements

David Conrad drc at virtualized.org
Tue May 29 16:34:35 UTC 2007

On May 29, 2007, at 8:23 AM, Donald Stahl wrote:
>> vixie had a fun discussion about anycast and dns... something
>> about him
>> being sad/sorry about making everyone have to carry a /24 for f-root
>> everywhere.
> Whether it's a /24 for f-root or a /20 doesn't really make a
> difference- it's a routing table entry either way- and why waste
> addresses.

I once suggested that due to the odd nature of the root name server
addresses in the DNS protocol (namely, that they must be hardwired
into every caching resolver out there and thus, are somewhat
difficult to change), the IETF/IAB should designate a bunch of /32s
as "root server addresses" as DNS protocol parameters.  ISPs could
then explicitly permit those /32s.

However, the folks I mentioned this to (some root server operators)
felt this would be inappropriate.

Rgds,
-drc