why same names, was Re: NANOG 40 agenda posted

Edward Lewis Ed.Lewis at neustar.biz
Tue May 29 16:22:07 UTC 2007

At 8:22 -0700 5/29/07, David Conrad wrote:
>Jordi,
>
>On May 29, 2007, at 6:50 AM, JORDI PALET MARTINEZ wrote:
>>  This is useless. Users need to use the same name for both IPv4 and IPv6,
>
>Why?
>
>The IETF chose to create a new protocol instead of extending the old protocol.
>Even the way you ask for names is different (A vs. AAAA). Why should anyone
>assume a one-to-one mapping between the two Internets based on those
>protocols?

I'll take a stab at "why?"

First - "the way you ask for names" is not different at the
application level, it is different in the "layer" in which you find
where to shoot packets.  It's like paying at a cash register - you
pay but by cash, charge, atm, ...

But why "need" - okay, need is a strong word, but, if the user is
coming from a search engine result page, the search engine is going
to hand a URL with a machine name.  The search engine doesn't know if
the user to service has a v6 pipe (or a v4 pipe even), so the URL
won't be customized for v4/v6.

If the user types in the domain label (like "nanog") and the
application then adds on TLDs and such, the application would have to
try the likely set of IPv6 labels to pre-pend.

As far as any other encoding of the name, whether IPv6 is working is
something that the encoder cannot know as the code will probably be
run from different points of the collective IP4 and IP6 network.

OTOH - in the presentation I gave in May '04 (three years ago - and I
didn't think it was pioneering even then, but who knew) I did have
some "gotchas" about using the same name.