IPv6 Advertisements

Jeroen Massar jeroen at unfix.org
Tue May 29 16:08:35 UTC 2007

Chris L. Morrow wrote:
[..]
> vixie had a fun discussion about anycast and dns... something about him
> being sad/sorry about making everyone have to carry a /24 for f-root
> everywhere. I think there is a list of 'golden prefixes' or something,
> normally this is where Jeroen Massar jumps in with GRH data and
> pointers.

*see cue* :)

3 years ago I did a presentation about that, see
http://www.sixxs.net/presentations/ and then "IPv6 Golden Networks"
for various formats, it is more or less still correct actually, but
some things might have changed.

The "best" way IMHO to figure out what prefixes you should be carrying
and what you are missing out on is to make sure you at least receive
all the allocated blocks.

The lucky folks who are providing a BGP feed to GRH can simply do that
by checking that here: http://www.sixxs.net/tools/grh/dfp/
Everybody else can of course either signup or do it manually.
Every prefix in DFP shows how well connected they are at least per
BGP, and we assume that reachability by BGP means that you can shove
packets over a link. Of course this does not show if the actual link
works vice-versa, or if it is a dsl link in the middle or not ;)

Should I make an explicit "Golden IPv6 Networks" list available again?
For IPv4 that was moreover done for dampening reasons, I don't know if
that is still needed. In effect any Golden network is more the network
that is most needed by your customers anyway, as such, the full list
is more accurate.

As for folks wanting "IPv6 Google", http://www.google.com.sixxs.org
and then you even get the Dutch version, which is quite liberal :)
Any <site>.sixxs.org or <sixxs>.ipv6.sixxs.org allos you to access
that <site> over IPv6. Using <sixxs>.ipv4.sixxs.org one can access
IPv6 sites when on IPv4 (which I used for some time when I didn't have
IPv6 connectivity at work due to firewalls which didn't work, but now
they do :). Of course see http://ipv6gate.sixxs.net for more details.

Greets,
 Jeroen