NANOG 40 agenda posted

John Curran jcurran at istaff.org
Tue May 29 15:29:34 UTC 2007

At 2:34 PM +0000 5/29/07, Chris L. Morrow wrote:
> > Actual behavior of ISPs will change as they realize even
>> if they're not the first ISP to have to connect customers
>> via IPv6-only, they will be face that situation in time.
>
>i'm not disagreeing or saying that ipv6 won't ever get deployed (or even
>in time for ipv4 exhaustion) but... chicken/egg, sometime soon folks are
>going to have to take it out of hide to start down the v6 path, some one
>is going to have to convince their upper management that they really do
>need to put this 'new service' that 'no one is asking for' and is 'still
>somewhat experimental' (from a hardware/software/OSS perspective atleast)
>onto their production infrastructure that is supporting YMillions of $$.

Chris -

This is not a problem for the user community...
The user community couldn't care less about IPv6.

This is an issue for the ISP community, in that a day
will come where you're going to desperately want to
connect a new customer to the "Internet" via IPv6
and give them a reasonable customer experience.
They're likely to to balk, and may not even have a
full set of applications that work over IPv6, but that's
still not going to matter.

ISP's are going to have to actually *lead* the transition
to IPv6 both in terms of infrastructure and setting
customer expectations.

/John

p.s.  It's not the classic chicken/egg situation;
       it's much simpler:  Look up and see the IPv4
       Internet - that's the egg, it's first, and it's falling.
       We have to recognize that fact and gentle catch
       it, or there just won't be any chicken.