NANOG 40 agenda posted

Iljitsch van Beijnum iljitsch at muada.com
Tue May 29 13:41:35 UTC 2007

On 29-mei-2007, at 15:21, Donald Stahl wrote:

> So many people seem to be obsessed with getting the end users
> connected via IPv6 but there is no point in doing so until the
> content is reachable.

Actually IPv6 has the potential to be very important in the peer-to-
peer space. That doesn't just mean bittorrent, but also less suspect
services such as anything built on top of IM, such as direct file
transfers and audio and video chats. It would help if those
applications supported v6, though.

> The built in tunneling in Windows could be a problem so let's start
> by using different dns names for IPv6 enabled servers-
> mail.ipv6.yahoo.com or whatever. Can anyone think of a reason that
> a separate hostname for IPv6 services might cause problems or
> otherwise impact normal IPv4 users?

You mean other than setting it up once, forgetting about it and then
calling the support line when it stops working? Don't forget that
changing mail settings isn't something you'll want to do too often
(speaking as the owner of an IPv6 mail server and a mail client that
won't fall back to IPv4 when IPv6 is present but doesn't work).

I'm not saying this type of testing shouldn't be done, but personally
I would try to find services that see enough use to flush out any
problems, but aren't important enough to cause real trouble when they
don't work. I don't know that an example of that would be, though.