NANOG 40 agenda posted

JORDI PALET MARTINEZ jordi.palet at consulintel.es
Sun May 27 11:23:04 UTC 2007

NAT-PT is not the only solution for this. In addition to that, even if
deprecated, load balancers (there are quite a few), still support it. In
general, this is only needed if you can't update your Apache, IIS or
whatever web server to dual-stack, which normally should not be a problem at
all !

A simple solution are the IPv4-IPv6 proxies, several choices, just pick your
preferred one.

If the "free" CPEs provided to the customers today aren't IPv6 enabled,
that's is *only* a lack of adequate planning from the ISPs providing those
boxes. There are a few low cost boxes in the market, which offer IPv6
(dual-stack). Yes, less than with IPv4, but the only reason for that is
because we don't ask for that support to our favorite vendors when placing
the orders, something that we have should done since at least 2 years ago.

Moreover, there are open source solutions for MANY of those boxes, so not
having support from the original vendor doesn't preclude to have other
choices.

Last, but not least, even if the CPE is not IPv6-enabled, there is not any
issue, because the hosts can use built-in transition mechanisms, even
automatic ones, such as 6to4 and Teredo, to reach the IPv6 enabled contents
when they are available.

And even much more important. I don't believe in a short term, in IPv6-only
in the local area networks if we want a trouble-free transition. It is much
easier to keep dual-stack, even by means of private IPv4+NAT and global IPv6
addresses. This way, all the existing contents, applications and services,
which already work with NAT today, still will keep working. Only the time
will provide most of those services enabled with IPv6 and possibly new
applications taking advantage of the end-to-end capability when developers
realize that developing for IPv6-only saves a lot of cost and development
time that trying to sort out the NAT in each possible scenario.

Regards,
Jordi

PS: You can find lot of boxes, applications and services which are
IPv6-enabled at http://www.ipv6-to-standard.org. By the way, I just realized
that some of the IPv6-enabled load-balancers are miss-classified, so
tomorrow will correct that. And of course, if you know about other boxes,
applications or services that support IPv6 and are not there, please let me
know.

The IPv6 Portal: http://www.ipv6tf.org

Bye 6Bone. Hi, IPv6 !
http://www.ipv6day.org