Slate Podcast on Estonian DOS atatck

Chris L. Morrow christopher.morrow at verizonbusiness.com
Fri May 25 05:29:43 UTC 2007

On Thu, 24 May 2007, Sean Donelan wrote:

> On Thu, 24 May 2007, Bill Woodcock wrote:
> >    > First of it's kind that it targeted a country.
> > No, at the very least, Moonlight Maze and Titan Rain came before.  But by
> > today's standards, Moonlight Maze would have been trivially small.  I
> > don't have any numbers for Titan Rain.  Anyone know how it compared to the
> > 4mpps of this attack?
>
> Don't forget the Pakistan/India cyber-skimishes.  Substantial parts of
> their Internet infrastructure was successfully attacked for months at
> a time.

may-day 2000? China/america hackers attack each other.
most of 2001 hamas/isreali hackers battle it out, highlight:
"www.hezbollah.org" attacked, which was hosted on inter.net.il (I
think)... funny stuff :)

certainly there have been other country-targetted attacks before estonia,
yes. I do find it interesting that someone pointed the finger directly at
the soverign nation instead of nationalist hacker groups or the like... I
think the washingtonpost.com article last week about this said the finger
pointed started because 'a kremlin minister's computer was identified as
an attacker!' (or was bot'd and participated in the attack(s) )

anyway, fun stuff, I'll have to listen to the podcast eventually.
-Chris