Interesting new dns failures

John Levine johnl at iecc.com
Thu May 24 18:26:50 UTC 2007

>which brings us back to my original comment: "we need a policy most likely
>from ICANN that requires some action based on proper documentation and
>evidence or wrong-doing/malfeasance. That policy needs to dictate some
>monetary penalties for non-compliance."

Ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha.

Anyone been following the Registerfly fiasco?  Since 2000, the ICANN
registrar agreement has required registrars to escrow their registrant
data according to ICANN's specs.  It's been seven years, ICANN is just
now sending out an RFP to set up escrow providers, only because
they've been shamed into it when people discovered that there were no
backups of Registerfly's registrant data.

Even if ICANN should try to do this, registrars will push back like
crazy since most of them have a minimum price mininum service business
model.  In retrospect, it was a huge mistake to drop the price and let
Verisign and their friends mass merchandise domains as a fashion
accessory, but it's much too late to put that genie back in the
bottle.

Regards,
Information Superhighwayman wanna-be, http://www.johnlevine.com, ex-Mayor
"More Wiener schnitzel, please", said Tom, revealingly.