Interesting new dns failures

Steve Atkins steve at blighty.com
Thu May 24 15:55:15 UTC 2007

On May 24, 2007, at 6:14 AM, Chris L. Morrow wrote:

> On Thu, 24 May 2007, Kradorex Xeron wrote:
>>
>> Very true - If this is going to work, it's goign to have to be on
>> a global
>> scale, Not just one country of registrars can be made to correct
>> the problem
>> as people who maliciously register domains will just do what the
>> spyware
>> companies do, go to a country that doesn't care and do business
>> there.
>
> isn't that why we have ICANN? Shouldn't we ask for policy at the ICANN
> level that penalizes registrys who can then penalize registrars for
> bad
> behaviour? From the beginning of this discussion there's ben the point
> made that without financial incentives this is all moot. That supposed
> policy should include financial penalties it would seem.

How much more, per-domain registration or renewal, would you be
prepared to pay to cover the due-diligence requirements, the
additional skilled staff, the legal and PR costs when domains are
cancelled due to false accusations (or true ones) and so on?

(I'd be prepared to pay quite a bit more, if it were to actually work,
but I know it wouldn't).

Cheers,
   Steve