BGP announce/withdrawal history.

Joe Abley jabley at ca.afilias.info
Thu May 24 14:33:20 UTC 2007

On 24-May-2007, at 03:42, Forrest W. Christian wrote:

> Earlier today I had an issue where a circuit to one of my two BGP
> connected upstreams went away for an hour or so.
> During this period, I expected BGP to act as expected and migrate
> the traffic to the second circuit with a second provider.  This did
> not occur.

When this has happened to me before, I have been suspicious about
whether the upstream to whom the circuit broke was routing my nets
down the dead circuit with static routes that for whatever reason
(layer-2 obfuscation, etc) didn't go away when the link went down.

This hasn't always been the answer, but sometimes it has; in several
cases poking about within RIS (or interactively through a route-views
router while the circuit was down) revealed that upstream in question
was originating routes on my behalf while the circuit was down.

Joe