ISP CALEA compliance

Valdis.Kletnieks at vt.edu Valdis.Kletnieks at vt.edu
Thu May 24 04:34:14 UTC 2007

On Thu, 24 May 2007 09:01:26 +0530, Suresh Ramasubramanian said:

> On 5/24/07, Owen DeLong <owen at delong.com> wrote:
> > The more I think about this, the more I think a refereed
> > boxing^h^h^h^h^h^hpanel discussion between representatives
> > from DHS, FBI, EFF, FCC, Verisign, Neustar, and ITU might
> > be a good approach to this.
>
> Humor me.. but just where does ITU come into this whole mess?

The ITU itself is likely irrelevant.  However, those who run ISPs across
either the left or right puddle are likely to be hit with CALEA-like issues
within the next few years, when their countries adopt similar laws.  And those
who think the EU's stand on privacy of data will prevent a CALEA should
consider the sorts of data-retention proposals that are getting floated
over there.

Yes - the laws themselves are politics.  Being able to install compliant
routers without breaking the budget is totally operational... ;)