Slate Podcast on Estonian DOS atatck

ge at linuxbox.org ge at linuxbox.org
Wed May 23 22:57:34 UTC 2007

On Wed, May 23, 2007 at 03:06:58PM -0400, Sean Donelan wrote:

> On Wed, 23 May 2007, Bill Woodcock wrote:
> >   > http://www.slate.com/id/2166749/fr/podcast/
> >
> >Downloading it now.
> >
> >John Markoff just called me for the NYT piece.  Odd that it's just hitting
> >the news now, two weeks later.
>
> I wonder, does this mean Estonia is now more likely to act/re-act to its
> own homegrown miscreants which attack systems in other countries after
> seeing the impact it had in their own country?  Or is this going to remain
> a case of the "bad guys" are always in some other country, not mine.

I just now got from a 6 hours beer fest with ISP/CERT/military/etc. guys
who have been working on these attacks on Estonian infrastructure for the past 3 weeks here in
Tallinn.. so if I make less sense than usual, please forgive me. Beer
good.

Sitting with these folks for the past week, I got so impressed with the
abuse handling work they are doing that even I, who had a very negative opinion
of Estonia and cyber-crime, completely changed my mind.

Their CERT is *extremely* responsive, their ISPs are all talking and
cooperating on abuse and security (and drinking beer). Things are very
different from what they were even just a year ago. Even their Police
force is clued.

If anyone has issues in Estonia, I'd strongly urge you to contact the
Estonian CERT at www.cert.ee, and you most likely won't get
disappointed. A lot of good people over here.

	Gadi.