Interesting new dns failures

Tim Franklin tim at pelican.org
Mon May 21 15:19:52 UTC 2007

On Mon, May 21, 2007 3:26 pm, Chris L. Morrow wrote:

> There's an interesting read from NRIC about this problem: "Signposts on
> the information superhighway" I think it's called. Essentially no one
> aside from propeller-head folks understand that there is something aside
> from 'com' :( take, for example, discussions inside the company formerly
> known as uunet about email addresses: "Yes, you can email me at
> chris at uu.net", "uunet.com?", "no, uu.net", "uu.net.com?", "nope, just
> uu.net". Admittedly it was with sales/marketting folks, but still :(

To a great degree, there effectively stopped being anything outside .com
when there stopped being any distinction between who was eligable for
.com, .net or .org, and it just became a "credit card, please"
free-for-all.

I can't imagine anyone now registering a new .com and *not* registering
the corresponding .org and .net, making them pretty much pointless for new
registrations.  It's only legacy domains, and occasional gap-finding in
legacy registrations, where the registrant isn't the same for all three.

> I wonder how the .de or .uk folks see things? Is the same true elsewhere?

.co.uk generally seems to be understood by UK folks.  .org.uk tends to
cause a double-take.  (The 'special' UK SLDs, like nhs.uk, are a maze of
twisty turny third-levels, all on different logic).

My email confuses people by being both a .org and too short - the general
public seems to expect either firstname.lastname at company.com or
some-long-random-attempt-to-sound-cool-with-numbers-because-100-other-people-had-the-same-idea@{yahoo,gmail}.com.