recommendations for Cisco repair?

Justin M. Streiner streiner at cluebyfour.org
Fri May 18 18:03:44 UTC 2007

On Fri, 18 May 2007, Carl Alexander wrote:

> I've searched the archives, and am somewhat surprised to find no
> discussion of this:  Does anyone have a recommendation for cisco
> repair/refurbishing?  (Background for any who care:  We had a
> power supply die on a 7206VXR; a junior admin went to swap in a
> replacement p/s and pulled the power cord out of the other, running,
> p/s.  He realized as he did it that he'd screwed up and shoved the
> cable back into the p/s.  The router no longer boots.  We want
> someone to go over each component, figure out which are damaged,
> repair or replace them, and put some sort of reasonable warranty
> on their work.)

By "doesn't boot", do you mean it doesn't power on at all, or it powers
on, but you don't see a proper boot sequence from the console?  If the
router powers up, there are a number of possibilities, depending on what
you see on the console.  If the router powers up, but hangs when it should
start loading its boot image, it's possible your bootflash is corrupted,
in which case you can try formatting the bootflash and xmodeming a new
boot image onto it.

You might be able to find a competent electronics repair shop to repair
the power supplies if that's what's fried, however you can get 7200 power
supplies pretty cheaply on the used market, probably not much more than a
repair shop would charge to tear your power supplies apart.

If the problem is not the power supplies, but something on the NPE or
midplane, your only viable option is to replace the broken components.

Do you have another 7206VXR chassis that you can swap components into, to
find out what works and what doesn't?

jms