Broadband routers and botnets - being proactive

Sean Donelan sean at donelan.com
Mon May 14 03:43:51 UTC 2007

On Sun, 13 May 2007, Gadi Evron wrote:
> "Passing the buck! Buck passer!" (see below - skip to Dilbert link)

I guess you missed my attempts 3 or 4 years ago at trying to establish
some standards for CPE concerning security.  I've been at this party for
a long time, I know how the song ends.

> Not saying that you are wrong but... Ahh, these are out of our
> control, nor will they do anything if we don't. Might as well tell users
> not to patch their Windows systems as it's the responsibility of the store
> who sold them the computer. Yes, it could help if the stores did
> something.

I spent about a year of my life working with Microsoft on getting patched
versions of Windows in the pipeline and getting OEMs to regularly update
their manufacturing copy being pre-installed on machines as they leave
the factory.  So yes, it did help to improve things in the pipeline.