ISP CALEA compliance

Martin Hannigan hannigan at world.std.com
Sun May 13 02:43:15 UTC 2007

Steve Bellovin said:

>I've tried hard to keep this discussion factual, with copious
>references. But I think I've run out of things to say that are even
>vaguely on-topic, so I'll shut up.

Anytime the word CALEA is pops up here the threads tend to quickly
degenerate into a large demonstration of a serious lack of knowledge.
This is also not an area that is typically managed by operational
people at the engineer level, it's a function run from regulatory and
legal side of the business.

Too bad the PC hasn't solicited a talk in this area. They ought to.
There are at least two companies participating in NANOG that provide
CALEA service bureaus, past employees of either with direct, relevant
experience, and current employees of both that read the list.

VeriSign: http://vcs-www.verisign.com/docs/netDiscovery/

NeuStar: http://www.neustar.biz/infrastructure/fcs.cfm (Formerly FiduciaNet)

Best,

-M<