Best practices for abuse@ mailbox and network abuse complaint handling?

Stasiniewicz, Adam stasinia at msoe.edu
Sat May 12 19:54:32 UTC 2007

At one place I worked at abuse@, webmaster@, hostmaster@, and all other generic addresses where aliases on the level 1 helpdesk mailbox.  Since the L1 desk's address was plastered all over the public site, they already had the pleasure of dealing with tons of spam and clueless users.  In the event that someone had a legit network complaint, they would open a ticket and forward to the appropriate group.

The only down side was the additional training.  The most time consuming component was we needed to train the L1 staff how to read email headers and determine if the originated from our network.

Hope that helps,
Adam Stasiniewicz